Topic ClosedFirst guitar advice.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rudiment View Drop Down
Band Member
Band Member

Band: Jagermeister presents SIXTYFOUREAST
Industry:Sound & Lighting
Direct Link To This Post Topic: First guitar advice.
    Posted: Oct 09 2010 at 5:55am
My 11 year old wants to learn to play guitar. Two questions:

1. What to purchase ? I am a drummer and sound engineer and have never owned a guitar. What is a good first guitar ? Something I could unload in the event he does not stick with this idea.  

2. Any recommendations for an instructor ? We live in Henderson, so on this side of the river would be preferred but not opposed to getting our passports out and crossing the bridge.Tongue

Thanks.
Sponsored Links

PJ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Musician: Keyboard-Synth
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2010 at 12:26pm
  If I were you, Id pick up a inexpensive acoustic guitar from a pawn shop or something. Then you can get tons of guitar lesson videos on Youtube. Learn some cool riffs and a bunch of chords and see if you want to go electric latter.
Just shut up and play it!!
Big Toe View Drop Down
Band Member
Band Member

Band: Panacea
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2010 at 2:19pm
  Try a cheap Squire Strat.  I have a Squire "Affinity" series that I bought my daughter when she first started learning. For $149 I was impressed.  Obviously, the electronics and hardware are cheap, but the action is actually better than my real Strat.  I usually keep it on a stand and use it for all my practicing at home. 

I'd go with an electric over an acoustic because it would be so much easier to finger chords.  Plus, you could hook it up to a cheap amp if he wished.

Don't know much about instructors except.....stay away from Opus 1.  I played with a young kid at church once.  He took lessons there.  He impressed me by tapping out part of a Satriani tune, but five minutes later had to ask me how to play a B minor chord......Told me that's what they taught him.....weird...

Edited by Big Toe - Oct 09 2010 at 2:23pm

gtrDave View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

(I'm Looking for a Band)
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 5:53am
 http://evansville.craigslist.org/msg/2006410785.html

this might fit the bill...

Edited by gtrDave - Oct 15 2010 at 5:54am
Keep on Rolling
ampguy View Drop Down
Band Member
Band Member

Band: Degree Of Freedom
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2010 at 5:40am

I recommend acoustic because electric will tempt him to learn the Satriani stuff before learning the basics, plus it's a little more considerate to the neighbors.

1, learn chords.  2, learn songs/theory/riffs.  3, learn leads.  I'm not sure that any music store teaches in this order, but most want immediate bang-for-the-buck so the kid keeps coming back (more $).  Someone please restore my hope and tell me I'm wrong.
A great amp can make a cheap guitar sound good. A cheap amp can make a great guitar sound terrible.
41SOUTH ROCKS View Drop Down
Band Member
Band Member

Band: 41SOUTH
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 31 2010 at 12:25pm
 One very important thing also is make sure you put a new set of light gauge strings on that guitar, Just so it will be easier to finger the chord patters thats trying to be learned ,and I agree with the other post, get lessons off youtube.com  but you can get sheet music of the songs off tabcrawler.com.to just about any song out there.then copy it on your printer of your computer.That will save you a bunch of money starting out.AND THERES A GUY ON YOUTUBE.COM CALLED THREE CHORD .COM AND HE SHOWS SOME VERY EASY WAYS TO PLAY SONGS WITH JUST THREE CHORDS.I have sent a few friends there and they loved it and learned at there own pace ,just put the webpage on your favorites and your there in no time.I hope this all helps in some way.Heavy strings can make learning guitar a real pain .go with light strings on what ever guitar you plan on buying .  and sometimes they have some great used guitars at Goldmans pawn shop down town evansville,Indiana.check it out ask for MARVIN he's a  very good guitarist too and he will help you on this and all will be happy..I just thought that should be said.Good luck on this ,music is an awesome thing when you can share it with family and friends.Big Nick.
When a band plays covers and originals both. How can you have a bad night.The main thing is just be yourself and if the music is good for the people then its good enough for any place you play at.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic