Author
mercyhollow View Drop Down
Band Member
Band Member

Band: MERCY HOLLOW
Industry:Recording Services
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speaker reconing
    Posted: Aug 10 2012 at 6:53pm
 Is there anyone local to Evansville that recones speakers. I have 2 pairs of EV Sentry 100A studio monitors with 8 inch woofers that need reconed. Any info would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links

proaudio View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2012 at 7:39am
 Are the foam surrounds dry rotted? Just get on ebay and purchase new foam kits and DIY.
Band Member
Band Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2012 at 11:56am
 I'm not sure if it is just the foam causing the woofers to have a "blurty" sound on the low response - or if it's something in the coils. Any suggestions.

Edited by mercyhollow - Aug 11 2012 at 12:00pm
proaudio View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2012 at 12:07pm
 If they are covered by grills, remove the grills and inspect the foam at the edge of the paper cone. Gently press in and release on the cone repeatedly while looking at the rubber foam. If it is cracked anywhere, then yes. it will have a seperate buzz sound all to its own. If the speaker was severly overdriven, then the coil could have swolen and be rubbing against the magnet or pole...chances are its just the foam.
-eric

Band Member
Band Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2012 at 7:47am
 Ok. I have 2 pairs of older EV Sentry 100A studio monitor speakers. I retired one pair several years ago when the 8 inch woofers began having a "blurty" sound when pushed a little.
About a year ago I bought 2 more off of E-Bay and they arrived with the same "blurty" sound when slightly pushed.
For anyone who knows what I am currently learning-
I can gently push the cones on all 4 speakers down into the magnet and there seems to be NO drag - but that does not mean the coils are NOT damaged.
First is the foam ring around the front edge on all 4 speakers is old - but in tact. So, I don't believe that a simple re-foaming will remedy the issue - it might help - but not completely cure.
Second is replacing the cones (which incures re-foaming anyway) and reconing includes a new cone, voice coil, spider, wire leads and dust cap for each speaker.
Now, these speakers are 6 ohm to work with the internal cross over and tweeter - and this means I have to order the cones and the parts un-assembled - yes, I would have to assemble the voice coil, and attach it and the spider to the cone and then trim the cone to fit the voice coil. (I know how to re-foam and install the dust cap) but I have never installed a voice coil onto a cone, or a spider, or trimmed a cone, or installed the lead wires.

The on line store "Simply Speakers" that has the replacement parts - will do the job for me - but it will cost $75.00 per speaker plus 2 way shipping.

New speakers are $81.00 per speaker plus 1 way shipping.

The cone replacement kits are $45.00 per speaker plus 1 way shipping.

With no luck so far finding someone local to my area that can or will assemble the cones and attatch them to the frames if I order the replacement parts. (After adding on the labor for someone to do this - I will probably be back up in overall price to new speakers anyway)

Does anyone here have experience with this complicated, detailed and intricate cone replacement procedure?
proaudio View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2012 at 9:13am
 I don't think you are going to find local help to recone. There use to be a guy in the area named Curtis, but he was primarily JBL. Not sure if he is still doing it. I have limited experience and know what is needed to be done, but I am not really running my shop full time anymore because I travel alot with my day job,so unless your patient, I can't help either.
This Blurty sound can happen from degraded foam , rip in a cone, spider glue separation and , what i suspect in your case, the voice coil has overheated and caused the enamel to crack. This lets the 1 solid coil wrap separate and flop about wildly as the volume increases. It is no longer solidly attached to the voice coil former that looks like a nylon or stiff paper tube.

Spider re-glue is easiest, then refoam is second hardest.. You didnt report a rip in the cone so that is probably out. The last requires a recone.  

Sounds like the best option is new drivers.

Good luck, -eric

Band Member
Band Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2012 at 6:26am
 After watching the series of 10 short videos below - I will proably have to send my 8 inch woofers to Simply Speakers in St. Petersburg, Florida for repairs. The cabinets call for 6 ohm speakers to work with the internal crossover and tweeters and the NEW replacement speakers are 4 ohm and 8 ohm - which will not give the cabinets their true studio monitor playback sound. The cones will have to be manually re-wound to achieve 6 ohms. Here are a series of videos of where a guy re-wound the coils on an Alpine sub-woofer - This operation is VERY INVOLVED!!

For anyone interested in seeing a real DIY speaker voice coil repair -

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic