Topic ClosedUnderage musicians...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Smith64 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Underage musicians...
    Posted: Apr 09 2010 at 11:24pm
 I was curious if anyone knew Evansville's rules on underage musicians playing in bars.  We have a band member who is a minor (17 years old) and we've been asked to open for a another band at a bar.  The rest of us are 21 and up.

I've had conflicting answers on this, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links

ChowderMonkey View Drop Down
Band Member
Band Member

Band: Chowder Monkey
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2010 at 1:33pm
You should contact the venue that you're supposed to play and see their policy. I'm guessing that you're going to be out of luck in this day and age though.
Baby, it's not the 2.5 inches... It's the 200 pounds behind it.
mike46841 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2010 at 6:22pm
I don't know about Indiana, but in Kentucky if the venue has a restaurant liquor license they can hire kids who are 20 years old and a day. That being said, it is ultimately up to the owner, most don't want to take the risk. If they have just a straight up liquor license, no restaurant, they have to be straight up over 21 just to enter the building. Sometimes you can get away with it, but if they get popped, the bar is screwed. Not good for repeat performances. 
"The secret to enjoying your job is to find a hobby that's worse"
Smith64 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2010 at 7:03pm
 Thanks for the help guys

I've heard by law...17 and under is allowed but must be accomponied at ALL times by a guardian.

I've heard that 18-20 is allowed as long as they don't "hang-out" after performing.  This is just what I've heard, there may not be any truth to it.

But yea, ultimately it's the owner's decision.  This particular owner just told us "NO" by the way.  lol  Broken Heart
CDPrintingServices View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2010 at 10:53am
  Yeah depends on the place and states.
Chet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2010 at 2:13pm
Just don't tell them. I started playing in bars when I was 15, almost 16 years old. It was legal to play at Funky's at the age of 18, but I had to go outside or to the dressing room during breaks. Absolutely no drinking though...

It is your challenge to take the chance....

I triple dog dare you!!!
Angel Thomas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2010 at 2:19am
  You should contact the bar.Is they are OK with 17 or 21.

tnvnl View Drop Down
Band Member
Band Member

Band: Ntruzion
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2010 at 3:28am
Indiana law says 18. I know because I was ticketed for having my 17yo son playing drums for us. Ronald mcdonald got us. He said 18 is the law.
Smith64 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2010 at 6:54pm

Cool, thanks for the help man.  I'm counting down the days till he turns 18. haha

41SOUTH ROCKS View Drop Down
Band Member
Band Member

Band: 41SOUTH
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2010 at 3:03pm
 I called the exsize office for vanderburgh county and talked to the officer there. He was very helpful telling me the do's and don'ts which I thought was great advise that I needed to know.He said 18 and 19 yr old can play in a bar's but when you take a break ,they have to leave the bldg,they can go to there car till its time to start playing again.
He also said it's the bar owners  that have the right to say yes or no what ever they pick is how that goes.
He said some bars do this and some bars do not allow this.He said just stick to these rules and everything will be fine.I also asked about ky and Il. he said the laws are all differant in both of those states ,to check with each before you play a show there.

I thought this was the best way to find out the way to go about this.
I hope this helps.I  also have two players 18 going on 19 very soon in my band ,both awesome musicians  and this is why I checked this out just to keep things legal.Rock on my brothers ,Big Nick/41SOUTH.
When a band plays covers and originals both. How can you have a bad night.The main thing is just be yourself and if the music is good for the people then its good enough for any place you play at.
ChowderMonkey View Drop Down
Band Member
Band Member

Band: Chowder Monkey
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2010 at 8:17am
Good job Big Nick!
Baby, it's not the 2.5 inches... It's the 200 pounds behind it.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic